Harness the power of the wind and water when you Set Sail with Equinox Hotel New York and Hudson River Community Sailing this summer. Enjoy a 2-hour private sailing lesson with your own instructor aboard a beautiful sailboat. Customized lessons are tailored to welcome guests new to the sport of sailing and those who have experience to build upon.
Located within walking distance from Equinox Hotel New York, step aboard a new adventure and experience New York and the Hudson River like you’ve never seen before.
Inclusions: 1 room night, 2 hour sailing class, $50 F&B credit.
Booking Details: Must be booked 2 weeks in advance. Lessons can be scheduled for Wednesday and Friday afternoons at 11:00am or 2:00pm and Saturday evenings at 5:30pm.
Frequently asked Questions from HRSC:
Hudson River Community Sailing (HRCS) is an award-winning youth development and community sailing nonprofit with locations in Chelsea and Inwood. HRCS has a dual mission: to develop leadership and academic success in underserved New York City youth through partnerships with public schools, and provide maritime education and recreation to the city at large through a diverse and vibrant community sailing center. Last year, HRCS launched an Adaptive Sailing program for youth and adults living with disabilities. Learn more about HRCS at hudsonsailing.org.
- Close-toed shoes with good traction.
- Comfortable sports clothing that can get wet.
- Sun protection (Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- Water bottle.
- Snack (if you’d like).
- Rain jacket, layers, hat, and gloves when appropriate.
- We suggest eating something light prior to departing the dock.
The Pier 66 Boathouse (Map) is located at West 26th street, inside the Hudson River Park. We are a 12 minute walk from the Equinox Hotel.
- Walking from The Equinox Hotel: through Hudson Yards to 11th Avenue. Walk south on 11th, turn right on 29th street, and walk to the Hudson River. When you reach 29th, cross the West Side Highway into the park, turn left and walk three blocks south. HRCS is located in the grey building labeled “Pier 66 Boathouse”
- By train: Take the C, E, or 1 to 23rd St and walk west. Alternately, take the 7 to Hudson Yards and walk west
- By bus: M23 Bus to Chelsea Piers and walk up to 26th Street.
- By car: There is a parking garage at 25th and 11th, 24th between 10th and 11th, and at Chelsea Piers. There is LIMITED street parking on weekends in the surrounding area.
You will be greeted by one of our friendly staff members who will confirm your reservation. You will then be asked to fill out a liability waiver if you have not already done so. Once the entire group has arrived, you will meet your instructor, get fitted for a lifejacket and proceed to the dock. The HRCS launch (driven by one of our after school program interns) will then take you to your sailboat. Enjoy the sail!
Please plan to arrive 15 minutes early.
There is plenty of dry storage in the cabin of the boat. Storage space in the boathouse is limited, but we will do our best to accommodate you.
The lesson will take place on one of our newest J/80 small performance keelboats. At 26 feet, the J/80 is an ideal platform for beginners and pros alike with an open cockpit and sportboat design.
Check out our Policies page for the specifics of what happens when there is bad weather and if you need to reschedule/cancel.
The minimum age is 5 years old with a minimum weight of 50 lbs
No, participants should be prepared for spray, but we do not plan to swim during any of our programming. HRCS provides US Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) for every lesson participant.
Yes. HRCS is not liable for any lost or damaged goods that you choose to bring aboard.
Yes, however HRCS does not allow alcohol aboard any of its vessels.