YOUR PRIVACY AND COVID-19
As the current circumstances and the needs of our community evolve, this Privacy Notice may be modified or updated in Equinox Hotel’s sole discretion. If we make any changes to our Privacy Notice, we will post the revised document here and such changes will be effective immediately upon that posting. Please review this Privacy Notice periodically to ensure you are aware of any changes.
What Information We’re Collecting: We may collect certain information about your potential exposure to COVID-19 and health through periodic health declarations or questionnaires we ask you to complete. We may also collect measurements of your body temperature when you are at the Hotel. We will not record or store your body temperature measurement, but if your body temperature registers higher than our permitted threshold for hotel access, we reserve the right to record and indicate in our system that you are a “special care” guest and may receive limited services and be subject to certain use restrictions while in the Hotel. In addition we may collect information provided by you, or a public health authority or other government agency, if you test positive for COVID-19, including information about how you interacted with Equinox during the time in which you may have been infected with COVID-19. All of the foregoing is referred to in this Privacy Notice as “Screening Information”.
What We’re Doing with Screening Information: We collect and use Screening Information to help provide a safe environment for our employees and guests and to administer and facilitate your business and stay with us. We will use Screening Information in furtherance of those legitimate interests and business purposes. We will not use your Screening Information for any marketing or promotional purposes.
Your Options: Equinox Hotels reserves the right to require you to provide Screening Information as a condition of entry to its Hotels. However, if you are uncomfortable with providing any requested Screening Information or do not wish to consent to this Privacy Notice, we are happy to set up a consultation with you to further discuss your options during your stay. Please contact email@example.com or the Hotel Manager if you have any questions regarding our screening procedures or would like to set up a consultation regarding your stay.
Effective Date: February 4, 2019
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Collect
- Information We Obtain By Automated Means
- How We Use The Information We Collect
- Third-Party Analytics Services
- Interest-Based Advertising
- Information Sharing
- Data Transfers
- Your Rights and Choices
- California: Information for Residents
- Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Children’s Personal Information
- How To Contact Us
- Cookies Policy
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The types of personal information we collect include:
- Contact information, such as name, email and postal address, and phone number;
- Business information, such as name, address, job title and employer details;
- Nationality, driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification information;
- Reservation information, such as reservation dates,membership or loyalty program information,names and ages of family members or other companions, country of origin, and reason for staying at our hotel;
- Payment card information, such as card number, expiration date and security code, which is collected and stored by our third-party payment processor on our behalf; Equinox Hotels’ policy is to store only the last four digits of your payment card;
- Account information and preferences, such as gender, important dates (e.g., birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions), and reservation preferences;
- Login credentials (e.g., username and password);
- Social media handles, content and other information posted on our official social media pages, and information we obtain from third-party social media services (e.g., Facebook) if you choose to link to, create or log into your Equinox Hotels account through these services;
- Information about prior stays at our hotels, such as booking history, products and services purchased, and special requests;
- Guest preferences, such as hotel room preferences, food and beverage choices, fitness club attire preferences, and preferred services, amenities or activities;
- Equinox fitness club purchase history, and membership and usage information;
- Travel itinerary or activity information;
- Geo-location information if you choose to connect to our Wi-FI network at one of our hotels;
- Images and video information from security cameras located in public areas in our hotels, such as lobbies and hallways;
- Data collected through your use of our hotel room keys; and
- Other information you choose to provide to us, such as through our “Contact Us” and “Chat” tools on our Sites.
In many cases, we will collect the personal information described above directly from you. In certain cases, however, we will collect the information from other sources, such as:
- Affiliates: we may obtain your personal information from other Equinox entities and affiliated companies, including Equinox Holdings, Inc. and subsidiaries operating under the EQUINOX brand,
- Furthermore, and The Related Companies L.P. For example, we may obtain your Equinox fitness club membership and usage information from our affiliates to facilitate short-term fitness club memberships for our hotel guests, or to provide promotional hotel rates to Equinox fitness club members and personalize their experience while visiting our hotels.
- Business Partners: we may obtain your information from other businesses with which we partner to provide you with products, services or offers we believe may be of interest to you, including our on-property partners (e.g., retail outlets and restaurants), travel agents, travel booking platforms, rental car providers and other travel partners.
- Other Sources: we may obtain information from other sources such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms and other third parties.
Information We Obtain By Automated Means
When you interact with our Sites, or when you connect to our Wi-Fi network at one of our hotels, we obtain certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We use these automated technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include your device IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, types of devices connected to our services, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, and dates and times of visits to our Sites. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you will not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with our products and services; (3) tailor the products and services around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of our products and services and the effectiveness of our communications; and (5) otherwise manage and enhance our products and services.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Sites. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device.
Information about our cookie practices and how to change your cookie settings is available in our Cookies Policy, below. To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before using cookies or similar tools.
Certain web browsers allow you to instruct your browser to send Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals to websites you visit, informing those sites that you do not want your online activities to be tracked. At this time, our Sites are not designed to respond to DNT signals or similar mechanisms from browsers.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the information we obtain about you to perform our contract with you or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you, including to:
- Provide our products and services to you;
- Establish and manage your account with us;
- Process and fulfill your booking or other orders in connection with our products and services and keep you informed about the status of your orders; and
- Provide customer support services.
We also use the information we obtain based on our legitimate interests, including to:
- Personalize and improve your experience on the Sites;
- Communicate with you about our products and services, and send you promotional and other marketing communications;
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, sweepstakes, surveys, events, programs, contests, promotions and other offers;
- Enable our affiliated companies and business partners (e.g., retail outlets and restaurants that operate in our hotels) to provide you with products and services, and send you information you requested or we think might interest you about their products or services;
- Respond to your requests and inquiries;
- Operate, evaluate, develop, manage and improve our business (including operating, administering, analyzing and improving our Sites, products and services; conducting research and developing new products and services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- Perform analytics (including market research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information);
- Protect against, identify and prevent safety and security issues, fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Conduct investigations and comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, and our policies and terms.
We use your personal information for these purposes because we have a legitimate business interest in providing products and services to consumers and other individuals. When we process personal information for our legitimate interests, we take appropriate measures to ensure that the interests we pursue are balanced with your interests, rights and freedoms, about which we will provide more information upon request.
We may use the information we collect to comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements to which we are subject, and for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in administrative or out-of-court procedures.
We also may use the information we collect about you in other ways for which we will provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent if required by applicable law.
Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (e.g., to process your payment). In this case, we may not be able to provide you with the product or service you have requested but we will notify you if this is the case.
Third-Party Analytics Services
We use third-party web analytics services on our Sites, such as Google Analytics. The service providers that administer these services use automated technologies to collect data (such as IP addresses) to evaluate use of the Sites. To learn more about these analytics services, please see our Cookies Policy, below.
To learn how to opt out of Google Analytics, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
You may see certain ads on other websites because we engage third-party ad buying networks (such as Google Ads, Youtube, DoubleClick and Facebook). Through such ad networks, we can target our messaging to users through demographic, interest-based and contextual means. These networks track your online activities over time and across multiple websites by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of third-party cookies, web server logs, pixels and web beacons. The networks use this information to show you ads that may be tailored to your individual interests. The information our ad networks may collect on our behalf includes data about your visits to websites that serve Equinox Hotels advertisements, such as the pages or advertisements you view and the actions you take on the websites. This data collection takes place both on our Sites and on third-party websites that participate in these ad networks. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts.
To learn how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising in the U.S., please visit aboutads.info/choices and networkadvertising.org/choices. In the European Union, please visit youronlinechoices.eu. To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before using your information for interest-based advertising.
We may share your personal information with our affiliates and subsidiaries, including Equinox Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries operating under the EQUINOX brand, Furthermore, and The Related Companies L.P. We also share your personal information with our service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as order fulfillment, data analytics, IT support services and marketing. In accordance with applicable law, we have entered into legally binding agreements with our service providers and we do not authorize our suppliers or subcontractors to use or disclose the information provided to them except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. In addition, we may share your personal information with other businesses with which we partner to provide you with products, services or offers we believe may be of interest to you, including our on-property partners (e.g., retail outlets and restaurants), travel agents, travel booking platforms, rental car providers and other travel or joint marketing partners.
In accordance with applicable law, we may disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (6) otherwise with your consent. We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Subject to applicable law, you may (1) have the right to access the personal information we maintain about you; (2) request that we rectify personal information about you that is inaccurate; (3) request that we erase personal information about you; (4) have the right to restrict our processing of your personal information; (5) object at any time to the processing of your personal information on grounds relating to your particular situation and, in any event, to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes; (6) have the right to withdraw your consent to any processing of your personal information that is based on your consent; and (7) in certain circumstances, request that we provide to you a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact Equinox Hotels as indicated in the “How to Contact Us” section below. If you are located in the EEA, you also may lodge a complaint with the data protection supervisory authority in your country of residence.
CALIFORNIA: INFORMATION FOR RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, you have a right to request a notice describing the categories of personal information we share with third parties for their direct marketing purposes and the names and addresses of the third parties to which we have disclosed personal information about you for their own direct marketing purposes within the past year. You may make one request per calendar year, and the information may be provided in a standardized format which is not specific to you individually. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response. You may request this information in writing by contacting us as specified in the “How To Contact Us” section below.
OTHER ONLINE SERVICES AND THIRD-PARTY FEATURES
Our Sites may provide links to other online services for your convenience and information, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins (e.g., Facebook and LinkedIn). These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, are subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by us, Equinox Hotels is not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our Sites are intended for a general audience and are not directed to children. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from children under the age of 13 or such other age as may be directed by applicable law. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under 13, we will promptly delete the information from our records.
HOW TO CONTACT US
35 Hudson Yards
New York, NY 10001
Attention: Legal Department, Privacy
35 Hudson Yards
New York, NY 10001
Attention: Legal Department, Privacy
These cookies are necessary for the Sites to operate properly and facilitate your use of their features. Without these cookies, certain services cannot be provided. These cookies help us understand information, such as your session ID and other server authentication information. This category of cookies should not be disabled. If you use your browser settings to block them, we cannot guarantee your security or predict how the Sites will perform during your visit.
These cookies allow the Sites to remember choices you make and provide enhanced and more personal features. They can also be used to make sure the content we show is relevant to you – for example, we use functional cookies to remember if you visited our Sites before so that messages intended for new visitors are not displayed to you. They can also be used to remember changes made to parts of our Sites that you can customize. Examples of our functional cookies include:
- LivePerson: LPSessionID, LP Visitor ID, LPVID and LPSID-13297230 are set by the va.v.liveperson.net domain to help enable and provide our LivePerson online chat feature.
- Pinterest (_pinterest_cm): The Pinterest button on parts of our site allows you to pin to your logged-in Pinterest account, if you have one. Pinterest tracks this if you are logged in.
Performance and Analytics
These cookies collect information about how you interact with the Sites, such as what pages you visit and if any errors have occurred. Information is used to improve how the Sites function. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies you, but generate statistical data about your use of our Sites. Examples of our analytics cookies include:
- Google Tag Manager (_GA, _GAT, _GID): Google Tag Manager is an analytics service provided by
- Google Inc. and is used to implement Google Analytics and other tracking events on the website.
- Google Analytics (_GA, _GAT_UA-122463171-1, _GID): Google Analytics is used to collect information about how visitors use this website. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the website.
- JSESSIONID: This cookie is set by the .nr-data.net domain to determine which pages you visited and whether you received any errors while browsing those pages, and we use this cookie to help debug and fix our Sites.
Targeting and Advertising
These cookies help customize the content and information you receive on the site and to help deliver ads that we believe are relevant to your interests. Advertising cookies may be placed on the Sites by a third party with our consent, which then enables us to determine whether or not to show you an Equinox Hotels ad when you are browsing other sites. Third-party cookies we have allowed to be placed on the Sites for advertising purposes are listed below. Please visit the relevant third party’s site for more information on these cookies and how you can opt out of them. Examples of our targeting and advertising cookies include:
- DoubleClick: The IDE and r/collect cookies are set on our website to help identify a Google user as someone who visited our Sites so that we can determine whether or not to show that user an Equinox
- Hotels ad via Google’s DoubleClick ad services.
- Facebook: The fr and other Facebook cookies are set on our Sites to help identify a Facebook user as someone who visited our Sites so that we can determine whether or not to show that user an Equinox Hotels ad on Facebook.
In addition to visiting the third-party sites above, you can manage cookies through your web browser. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. You can find out how to do this for your particular browser by clicking “help” on your browser’s menu or by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note, however, that if you disable cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all features and functionalities of the Sites. The following external links will explain how to manage cookies for the most common browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Google Chrome
In addition to the browser-based controls, you can manage third party cookies by visiting